Left: A map of Clayhall Farm, Reigate, Surrey - part of Henry Smith's Kempsing and Clayhall Estate, income from which was bequested in 1641, creating the first of the parish trusts that are combined within Battersea United Charities. (Battersea United Charities Archives)
Battersea United Charities (1641) - Otherwise known as 'The Non-Apprenticing Charities', this is the original charity created in 1938 by bringing together 14 historical charitable trusts. It administers the John Banks Pensions, paid to ten pensioners (5 women and 5 men) from Battersea, and the Henry Smith bequest, which adds to funds we raise each year to purchase food parcels for pensioners from across Battersea at Christmas, which have been distributed at a specially hosted event at Battersea Arts Centre (the old Battersea Town Hall). Beyond these activities, the charity is focused on the elderly and general relief of need for individuals in Battersea.
John Edmonds’ Charity (1708) - It is primarily used for educational purposes for individuals aged under 25. The charity makes grants for school clothing, educational journeys, help with fees, equipment and books, travelling expenses and any other educational purpose at the discretion of the Trustees.
The Wingrove Harrison Fund (1945) - Fred Wingrove was a former Battersea Councillor whose family donated the original gift. This was supplemented in 1990 by money collected by friends and colleagues of the late Herbert Harrison, a friend of Fred Wingrove and fellow Battersea and Wandsworth Councillor. Herbert was Chairman of Trustees of Battersea United Charities for 17 years. His son Herbert succeeded him as Chairman, and he was followed by his wife Mrs Lilian Harrison who was Chairman of the Trustees until January 2006 and thereafter Honorary President. The use of the fund is at the discretion of the Trustees.
The Charlotte Despard Charity (1960) - Charlotte Despard was a former Alderman of the Battersea Borough Council in 1920. This is used to help women to fund further education and training focused on enhancing future employment. The charity focuses on women over 25, the age at which they cease to be able to apply for a grant from the John Edmonds Fund. The Charity was boosted in 1996 by a bequest from the late Douglas Jay (Baron Jay of Battersea), a former Battersea Member of Parliament.
The Pettaugh Centre Association (1981) - Originally founded by a group of Battersea head teachers to run a school journey centre in Suffolk, when this closed down the proceeds of the sale were passed to Battersea United Charities in 2003 to be used to help fund educational and outward-bound type school trips, and similar activities, which otherwise may not be affordable.
The Mayor’s Fund (1994) - Councillor Beryl Jeffery established this fund in her year of office as Mayor of Wandsworth, by a donation of one third of her mayoral charity appeal. This fund is used to supplement the Christmas parcel fund or for other purposes at the discretion of the Trustees.
Above: Henry Smith's Memorial inside All Saints' Church, Wandsworth High Street.
Battersea United Charities
Benefactors whose Trusts form Battersea United Charities
Henry Smith (1641)
John Edmonds (1708)
John Banks (1716)
Ann Cooper (1720)
Rebecca Wood (1796)
Anthony Francis Haldimand (1815)
John Parvin (1820)
Thomas Ashness (1827)
Mssrs Bush & Perkins (1828)
John Conrad Rapp (1834)
John Charles Constable (1849)
Battersea Lammas Hall (1858)
Henry Juer (1879)
Edward Dagnall (1882)
Ashley William Graham Allen (1893)
Arthur Sykes (1919)
Charles Barrington (1945)
Fred Wingrove & Herbert Harrison (1945-90)
Charlotte Despard (1960)
Past-Mayor Cllr Beryl Jeffery (1994)
Douglas Jay – Baron Jay of Battersea (1996)
serving the people of battersea since 1641